Mr. Pearson was born at Glendale,
Manitoba on October 17th, 1887 and educated in Minnedosa,
Manitoba, where he received public and high school education.
In the spring of 1906, he joined a survey party headed by L.T.
Bray, DLS, at Macleod, Alberta. During 1906, the party
performed subdivision surveys in the foothills West of Macleod,
Crowsnest Pass and at Oil City West of Waterton Lakes.
In the spring of 1907, he joined Mr. Bray at Edmonton and the
party was engaged on the survey of road diversions for the
Government of Alberta in the Edmonton district under
instructions from L.C. Charlesworth, Director of Surveys. In the fall of 1907, Mr.
Pearson started to work for J.L. Cote, DLS doing land survey work. Mr.
Cote became a Member of the Legislature of Alberta in 1909
and later became Provincial Secretary in Honourable Arthur L.
Sifton's cabinet which succeeded the Liberal Government elected
Mr. Pearson articled to Mr. Cote in
1909 and received his commission as a Dominion Land Surveyor
and registered in the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association June
Mr. Pearson became a partner later in the Cote, Tremblay and
Pearson firm of surveyors and engineers whose office was in the
old Crystal Block on Jasper Avenue in Edmonton.
Hugh Pearson was active in the formative years of the Alberta
Land Surveyors' Association before the First World War,
attending annual meetings in Calgary and Edmonton. He
contributed to lively debate during the sessions after the war
and served as a member of Council in
Mr. Pearson enlisted with the 138th Battalion in the First World
War November 29th,
which was drafted into the 10th Battalion overseas. He was
wounded twice; August 18th,
(Hill 70) and September 27th,
(Cambrai) and was in hospital on Armistice Day, November 11,
1918. He was discharged with the rank
of captain and was adjutant of the battalion at the time. He was
awarded the Military Cross.
He returned to Canada in January
and went to Manitoba late in the year to do some day work on
land surveys. In
he subdivided land in the Clear Hills, north of Peace River. In
1924 he did miscellaneous jobs for the
Surveyor General of Canada and in the fall of
went to Ottawa to plot maps from his notes. In the spring of
he resigned from the staff of the Surveyor General.
During the later years, Mr. Pearson had been investing in the
Radio Supply Company Limited which had been started in Edmonton
by his friend Mr. J.M. Taylor. In the spring of
he became a partner in this organization and took on full- time
duties. This business expanded into wholesale and retail dealing
in automobile parts and accessories, radios and household
appliances. After the Second World War, a Mr. Carson joined the
business and the name was changed to Taylor, Pearson & Carson
Limited, which also became involved in radio broadcasting and
television. Branches were established in Edmonton, Calgary and Lethbridge. Mr. Pearson was
president of Taylor, Pearson &
Carson until his retirement in
He was chairman of Selkirk Holdings until
with interests in several radio and television companies, one of
which was CJCA Edmonton.
A lifetime of activity, such as this, could not be sustained
without assistance. That assistance was Constance Pearson, wife
and mother to their three children. Hugh and Constance were
married November 16th,
in England, just after Armistice Day. They celebrated their
sixty wedding anniversary in November
Mr. Pearson was made Member of the Order of Canada in October
He was active in the Anglican Church, the Edmonton Club, the
Mayfair Golf and Country Club and the Salvation Army. He held
directorships with the Toronto-Dominion Bank, National Trust and
Inland Cement Ltd. He was also founder of the Bishops Men and
served as a governor of the University of Alberta and Trinity
Mr. Pearson and his wife were largely responsible for the
restoration of the post office clock which stands in front of
the Edmonton Plaza Hotel.
The Edmonton business pioneer remained active until his death
and often visited his office and the Edmonton Club. Mr. Pearson
died December 26,